Monday, June 2, 2008

Neuroscience, and Esther

I'm feeling rather tired... not sure why. I suspect allergies or a sinus infection; neither is exactly preferable.

Research is fun. I'm enjoying it, even if I'm mildly frustrated by the approaches that biologists take - so very different from the way physicists approach questions. Not necessarily bad, but different, and slightly frustrating. The material is fascinating, in any case, and that helps more than a little.

I wrote a journal entry yesterday on some of my thoughts on philosophy as it relates to language and culture... hopefully I can expand on them and post them here tomorrow.

I'm reading Daniel, now; I read Esther last weekend and very much enjoyed it. It's a glorious picture of God's sovereignty and His hand working even in ways that are a bit unexpected - through harems, for example. When was the last time you thought about that particular instance, eh? That God used a single, primarily sexual, encounter (and if you think I'm crazy, go reread the text) to save all of Israel... doesn't really fit in our box of how God should work. It's fascinating to see how very free God is, how thoroughly in control He is. It's freeing.

For now, I am going to fold laundry. Hopefully tomorrow will see a deeper post.

- Chris

1 comment:

  1. If memory serves, God once allowed a donkey to speak to get somebody's attention too.
    Hmmm, let's see... in the lineage of Jesus, there are murderers, an adulterer, a prostitute, idolaters; yet God saw fit to use "unworthy" vessels to bring about His plan for redemption.
    We tend to view things through a very narrow scope, don't we?

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.