Thursday, July 19, 2007

At any moment

We talked about death in class today - about grief and dealing with loss.

That's probably why I was struck so starkly and deeply by my own mortality while out driving tonight (no worries; I'm fine and there were no accidents or any such difficulties). I just found myself confronted by the possibility that I could die at any moment, for any reason. God's will is ultimate, not my plans.

I don't mean to sound morbid. Far from it: I was reminded of the essential nature of our call to live for Christ today, because none of us are promised tomorrow.

I didn't do that today. I will strive to do so tomorrow, and I will fail - but by the grace of God I will come nearer the mark as He perfects me, sanctifies me, remakes me in His own image.

What about you? Are you living for Him right here, right now, in this moment? Are you daring to walk through life as though you may not have tomorrow here on this earth?

Let us be once again respond to the call to a life that is laying down our lives daily!

- Chris

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts about living in the moment. I am actually reminded of Paul's admonishment to us to live purposefully, redeeming the time—something the Lord has been speaking to me for a year or so now.

    Carpe diem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm always amazed at how resilient and yet how fragile the human body is all at the same time ... what we can endure ... and yet what simple things take a life so quickly. there have been times i've wanted to live and times i've wanted to die, and yet, my choice is not whether to live or die but how i live what i'm given right now.

    i swirl as i read this tonight. perhaps difficult to understand, but you have so much freedom to explore these thoughts and to do something about them at your age. i've spent the last three weeks in an uphill marathon trying to get my Youngest's health and meds regulated and balanced ... and trying to also be a mom to Oldest ... so consumed by this i have been that the luxury to have such thoughts has not been possible.

    it is critical that you explore these thoughts now and determine what you believe and adjust your course to follow the Truth. there will come days and seasons in your life where you will be living in a more "reactive" place than a "proactive" place, and the foundations you lay in your proactive days and seasons will determine how you respond in your reactive days and seasons. hummm ... a long way of saying, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

    your life will flow through seasons that are really messy and full of chaos. you will have little time to form who you are during those times. yet, who you are will be solidified by how you live and the choices you make when life gets messy and chaotic.

    continue to build your Truth, your character, who you are now, so that when you are faced with days and seasons of messiness and chaos, who you are will frame what you do during those days. and your wife and children will fall on their knees and praise God for blessing them with a husband and father such as you. and it will be worth it then ... the sacrifices of your whole life to be who you are ... and it will be but a small experience of when you are given the privalege to hear your Father say, "Well done, Chris. Well done."

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.