Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Desultory meditation

I'm going to shave my goatee off on either October 31st or November 1st - whichever day the Society of Physics Students start the 3rd Annual Jim Hicks Memorial No-Shave November Beard contest. Then I'm growing a beard out the rest of the moth. I'll keep it neatly trimmed, but I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. There'll be pictures up on here so people can track from far away. It should be amusing, to say the least.

I love being an RA. Sometimes the job is hard, and sometimes it's frustrating, but overall I love the job. I love the people I work with; I love the guys on my floor. We may not spend a ton of time together, but I've enjoyed all the time we have spent together. Nights like tonight, it's trying, since I'll be up till about 1 am. It makes it harder to get up at 6 am. It also makes it harder to have a good quiet time and devotional with God; I have to fit it in instead of before bed.

Il ike rain. It makes me happy. It was just about two years ago that two friends and I went for a long walk in the rain... it started nice and warm, and then turned cold. Good memories, though long ago. I don't miss much of that year: not who I was, not how things were, not what my classes were, etc. I do miss some of the friendships I had then. It's hard to wax nostalgic, though, when God has drawn me so much closer to Him in the time since then, dealt with so much depravity in my heart.

Every once in a while I miss my future wife. I'm looking forward to falling in love with her some day. God's timing will be perfect. Until then, I'm rejoicing in this season of singleness.

Writing music is a delight and a joy to my soul. There is opportunity to worship in the midst of it that is paralleled nowhere else in my experience. Whether it be a simple praise song or a complex suite for piano or a string quartet for a friend's wedding, I love composing.

I read a book on worship recently. I liked a lot of it. Much of it frustrated me, though: his hermeneutics were terrible, and he clearly had a few views that he wanted to advance that was not necessarily well supported by Scripture. There was some good conviction from it nevertheless: a call to dedicate my thought life more toward God and less toward "vegetative" patterns.

I'm just about to finish The Everlasting Man, by Chesterton. While I have a few theological disagreements with him - he was, after all, Catholic, and I am solidly Protestant - I find that his arguments in this book are by and large general enough and fundamental enough that they are compelling on a number of levels. I highly recommend the book; it makes an excellent follow-up read for something like Lewis' Mere Christianity.

I had two midterms each of the last two weeks. They went well. I have another one next week, and I think it, too, will go well.

This semester has been fun. I've been learning good time management, and oddly enough, I've got a lot more time than I'm used to having to do non-scholastic things. Not because I'm not busy: I am. But God has given me grace and helped me see how to effectively use the hours I have been given. Even now, there is much time I could spend more wisely...

There is much learning.

But more than that... there is much opportunity to know God.

I love living for Him.

Good night!

- Chris

1 comment:

  1. Jobs where you interract with people are like that :)

    I like the rain, too ... it's calming; peaceful.

    I've looked at getting married again someday like this ... God is everywhere all the time ... so He is already there when I marry again ... and since there is no time with God, in His eyes, I'm married to this person. So I try to live in a way that would honor and respect my husband now, even though I have no idea who he is ... and that's okay, because God does.

    My Mentor, Mrs. Viv, would always say, "When you have so many things going on at one time, you cannot give undue attention to any one of them." That has saved me a lot of stress. Of course, if I were more diligent at managing my time, like you are being, perhaps that would alleviate some of the stress, too :)

    Glad for the update. These days will speed by, especially when so busy :)

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.