Friday, October 19, 2007

Discipline

Lots of things buzzing around in my head the last few days. I'll try to write them up shortly.

I just finished reading Dr. Les Parrott's 3 Seconds - pretty good book, I'll have a review of it up by this weekend. I also finished Max Lucado's 3:16: The Numbers of Hope last week, and should have a review up this weekend as well.

I'm going to start working more regularly on my book. I need to, if it's ever going to get done. I'm also working on a piece I'm going to try to sell; I need to make some significant revisions, tighten it up, and then send it to the folks I want to sell it to.

Speaking is something I love doing and I'm good at, and I'm starting to consider how I could actually go about doing it instead of just thinking about it.

Writing music remains a passion, and I need to sit down and do it more regularly, rather than in the spurts I do right now. Same thing with playing guitar and practicing piano.

For all of these things, I have the time. I simply need to discipline myself to use it effectively and well. That's a challenge, but one worth pursuing. (Interestingly, that fits right in with some of what Jon Randles spoke about tonight at Paradigm. It's unsurprising, given that I specifically prayed for God to reveal to me what areas I needed to work on. He always does.)

I'm going to make a list, either Saturday or Sunday, of my current goals both immediate and long-term, so that I can get a better sense of vision and purpose right now. I need to refocus on my passions: while I should be responsible in the areas I have been given responsibility in at the moment, that should not come at the cost of shirking my duty to pursue the passions that God has laid on my heart.

And I need to begin more seriously examining what I'm going to do when I graduate, because that point is rapidly approaching, and preparatory points are approaching far more quickly still.

Now I need to sleep so I can start making progress on realigning my schedule once and for all this semester!

May the peace of God guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. And go read 1 Chronicles 16; it's a fantastic passage!

- Chris

1 comment:

  1. Chris ... you amaze me at how much you accomplish with your time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.