Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Not-quite-random thoughts

A few thoughts before I run off to class today:

I'm definitely a morning person. I love working out, showering, reading my Bible, checking e-mail and my itenerary - all before 8:30 am. By the time class starts at 9:30, I've already had a good morning and can have a productive day. It makes it much easier, too, in that I can usually enjoy my evenings instead of cramming them full of homework.

Breakfast is good.

The book of Isaiah is amazing. The picture it paints of God: I believe Isaiah understood more of the breadth and depth of the character of God than almost any other author in the Old Testament. From the fierce judgment to the tender compassion to the jealous protector: it's all there. Everything we see of God's nature in all Scripture is written in incredibly elegant poetry in this book. When you put it together with Hebrews and the Gospels, it's a pretty powerful punch of Christology.

I like not having classes on Tuesday, and only having one on Thursday (and an easy one at that!)

My mom makes the best zucchini bread known to man. Bar none. I can say the same about her chocolate chip cookies.

RA work is a lot easier and more enjoyable when you can get off campus somewhat regularly. Being "at work" all day every day is just a really bad idea when it comes right down to it.

Saturating one's life with prayer is an incredible blessing. It's also a lot of work. But the communion with God makes it worth it.

Passionless existences are the norm. Which is sad: they shouldn't be. Our lives were meant to be grand, and we reduce them to mere rote (and worse, meaningless) repetition of trivialities. Even the trivialities are meaningful; mostly we simply don't look hard enough. And too easily we forget that passion for Christ and excitement of the emotions aren't the same.

Life can be hard. It can be, as my dad says, trudgery. It's also incredible, if you just stop to look at the sky for a minute and actually think about what you're seeing. Once each day, once each night.

Stop and think about trees. You might be surprised what you learn. Not just from the trees, but from the stopping, and from the thinking. We don't do much of either here in the West.

And classes have at last begun for me today. Away I go! Peace be with you all!

- Chris

2 comments:

  1. love this . . .

    especiall this:

    Even the trivialities are meaningful; mostly we simply don't look hard enough. And too easily we forget that passion for Christ and excitement of the emotions aren't the same.

    ***

    so, who do you want to win the superbowl?!!

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.