Saturday, July 15, 2006

Strangers in a Strange Land

Things didn't go how I expected today. At all. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It was just... strange. Literally nothing went how I expected. I'm really not sure why, even now. It's okay. I was supposed to work a little today, putting up signs for our company - but that didn't happen. I was supposed to have lunch (or coffee, or something) with Melanie - but that didn't happen either. I got together with Jamin, and it was good, just... not exactly what I expected. I don't know. It was just kind of strange.

Have you ever had one of those days? Where the world just feels a little off-balance? Where the trees aren't quite the right color, and neither is the sky? Where you're somehow aware that everything we see is just a pale reflection of the true beauty? It was one of those days. I've had them before. It just came out in events today, rather than in observations of the physical world. It's hard to describe, except as a sense that this really isn't home. I'm not talking about one specific place; I'm meaning here, this world in general. It isn't home. We're sojourners here, travellers in a distant land, passing through on the way to our true home.

That's a comfort when the world seems off somehow.

In far more important news - continue to be in prayer for our leaders' response to the escalating war in the Middle East. Things are rapidly coming to a head such that we may well see outright war between Israel and Iran in a very short time. With Russia and China backing Iran and the US, Australia, and our various allies backing Israel, that could make things get ugly in a hurry. Prayer is essential; this is, at its root, not a physical conflict but a spiritual one, and if the president and other leaders don't realize that, they're likely to make some very large mistakes.

So pray without ceasing. Like we're supposed to be doing anyway.

- Chris

1 comment:

  1. I came here wondering what you were thinking about the middle east conflicts. My church was in prayer this morning over it and continues to be all week. One member analogized that God is watching his workers scurry in the fields to collect the harvest knowing time was very short. Otherwise meaning, as Christians we should lay down our personal issuses and go out to look for the lost in desparation, because time is running out for them.
    Thank you for your comments on my blog. You are right.

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.