Thursday, August 31, 2006

A few changes headed this way

I'm going to try to do something a little different with this blog from now on. Not a lot different, but a little. First, I'm going to make a point out of updating it every single day - yes, that's a good bit of work, but I think it's worth it, given the things God has laid on my heart regarding it. It's still going to be something of a record of my own life, but it's going to be more directed at what God says about things and less about what the circumstances look like. I'm also going to be making a point out of doing a lot more of the book reviews, similar to what I did recently - which will be an inspiration for me to keep reading and getting through new material. If things go as I hope, you'll be shortly reading a review of Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, and throughout the semester a selection of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, G. K. Chesterton, and Francis Schaeffer, at a minimum, along with Oswald Sanders' Spiritual Leadership, and The Insider by Petersen and Shamy (both of those last two should be coming along within each of the next two weeks).

Some explanation for the shift is perhaps required. I've been slowly drifting in this direction for a while, as I've prayed about the direction this ought to take. More and more, the Lord has convicted me that if I'm going to be blogging, it needs to be taking full advantage of the gifts He's given me, and I need to point to Him in everything. That means the above changes for this blog - though, as I mentioned, it will still involve my life, I'm more interested in His perspective than my own banalities - and it also means that I'm going to be a better steward of eternity calling. My goal is to have a serious update on there (essays of the 1500+ word length of the sort I've put up before) every two weeks from now on. God has given me gifts as a thinker and a writer that need to be used, and for His glory and magnification. I may not have many readers - and I may never have many readers - but this isn't about me: it's about my using the gifts He's given me as best as I'm able to bring as much glory to Him as I can, whatever that looks like. All of this has been growing in me for months, but it came into sharp focus earlier today when I was reading this article over at Boundless. When you read it, perhaps you'll see what I mean.

This brings me to the last thing I'll be doing: when I see a good article somewhere, or a good, solid website, I'll be recommending it, with explanations of why I'm recommending it, what it's about, etc.

Finally, at some point (hopefully later this semester), I'll be getting my own website up and running - it's a necessity for my composition, and it'll be useful for many other things; but among the many functions it'll serve, I'll be hosting my blogs on it, which will hopefully help in distribution and all that. When that actually happens, I'll of course post that here, and I'll probably continue to post in parallel here for the convenience of those of who read it here.

With all of that in mind, I now have to get back to doing my homework. Even with this new vision, the rest of my life hasn't disappeared. God bless you all, and good night!

- Chris

0 responses:

Post a Comment

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.