Monday, June 18, 2007

Secret Ambition

This song has grabbed me recently; I've been working on learning it on guitar. Can we make our life goal to follow Christ in this? - to make our life's ambition the same as His?

Secret Ambition - Michael W. Smith
Young man up on the hillside
Teaching new ways
Each word winning them over
Each heart a kindled flame
Old men watch from the outside
Guarding their prey
Threatened by the voice of the paragon
Leading their lambs away
Leading them far away

Chorus:
Nobody knew His secret ambition
Nobody knew His claim to fame
He broke the old rules steeped in tradition
He tore the Holy Veil away
Questioning those in powerful position
Running to those who called His name
(But) Nobody knew His secret ambition
Was to give His life away

His rage shaking the temple
His word to the wise
His hand healing on the seventh day
His love wearing no disguise
Some say Death to the radical
He's way out of line
Some say Praise be the miracle
God sends a blessed sign
A blessed sign for troubled times

Chorus:
Nobody knew His secret ambition
Nobody knew His claim to fame
He broke the old rules steeped in tradition
He tore the Holy Veil away
Questioning those in powerful position
Running to those who called His name
(But) Nobody knew His secret ambition
Was to give His life away

no, no
no, no
i tell you nobody knew,
until he gave his life away

Can we make our highest priority giving our lives away? We are called to lay down our lives - to daily pick up our crosses and follow Him; to die to ourselves, to proclaim the Gospel at whatever cost in whatever environment He has put us in.

What's your secret ambition? Mine is to be a voice of the gospel - one of the men who moves mountains for Christ, whose name is written down in the finished book of Acts as a man who never compromised, who dedicated his life to the glory of God and the furthering of His Kingdom. I fail, all the time - but that's my ambition: that every person would hear the gospel, and that I would be a tool in that process. I don't know what that looks like, but I know that God has a purpose for my life - and I believe that's what He has made me for: His Name's glory.

God bless you all. Numbers 6:22-27

- Chris

1 comment:

  1. thank you for your comments and prayers

    interesting question for me

    my secret ambition would be, in all honesty, to know and experience real, pure, holy, unconditional love in a very tangible way that reaches the depths of my heart and soul and mind ... so i can know, truly know, what that is.

    i love my girls without condition. yeah, they prove all the time that i don't love them nearly as much as God b/c they drive me nuts, too! but i love them no matter what, without condition. i cannot imagine what it is like to experience someone loving me that way. i find people are very conditional in what they are willing to give ... our humanity, i guess.

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.