Thursday, June 21, 2007

"You're a great guy, but..."

Quick recommendation before I sleep tonight. I'm tired. But I have to highly recommend this article from Boundless, called "You're a Great Guy, But..." by Suzanne Hadley. It's an experience I'm familiar with; indeed, I've joked with some friends in the last year that the seven most terrible words for a guy are "I think you're a great guy, but..." because the basic meaning of whatever comes after that is exactly the same: "I'm not interested." God often uses that for His glory and for the advancement of His purposes in our hearts; but nevertheless it's not a pleasant thing to hear. Suzanne does a great job of addressing both men and women in that situation, and I really respect the way she presents the best ways of going about that rather sticky conversation.

As a side note, I have to say that the two girls with whom I've had that conversation nailed it: delivering it respectfully and in a way that affirmed me, while still noting firmly their lack of interest. That's a hard thing to do, and I respect them immensely for doing it and doing it rightly: in a way that honored God.

It is now time for a brief bit of Bible study, journaling, and then sleep. Tomorrow is coming quickly! God bless you all.

- Chris

1 comment:

  1. this was interesting ... and informative.

    i've found these similar words just as paralyzing and full of paradox in all areas of life. "I think you(r) ... but ..."

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.