Friday, February 22, 2008

Bondage of choices

Mark Dever of Capitol Hill Baptist Church wrote an interesting blog (quick read) a couple days ago about the bondage we can find ourselves in to needing subjective "senses" of where God is leading us.

I do believe that God's Spirit will sometimes lead us subjectively. So, for instance, I am choosing to spend my life here on Capitol Hill because my wife & I sensed in 1993 that that is what God wanted us to do. However, I realized then (and now) that I could be wrong about that supposition. Scripture is NEVER wrong. I was free in 1993 to stay in England, or teach at a seminary, either of which would have been delightful opportunities. I understand that I was free to make those choices. But I chose, consulting Scripture, friends, wisdom, and my own subjective sense of the Lord's will, to come to DC. And even if I were wrong about that, I had (and have) that freedom in Christ to act in a way that is not sin. And I understand my pastoring here not to be sin. So I am free. Regardless of the sense of leading I had.

Interesting thoughts, and worth reading through the rest of the blog - don't worry, it's short (especially compared to mine!).

- Chris

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through your dad's...whom I found through Ame...whom I found through martie's! I just had to comment when I saw in your profile that you enjoy working Physics problems. I have a daughter (18) who is having a tough time with her Physics class (taught through IDL). She was co-valedictorian of her class until the dreaded Physics came along. Her 4.0 dropped to a 3.98 because she ended up getting an 88% in that class. So close! We're just over the state line in Kansas....do you do any tutoring?! ha ha

    My oldest brother (now in his 50's) is also a musician. Another thing that brought me here.

    You sound like a grounded, wonderful young man. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your prayers Chris. glad to know you are walking beside me.

    Love, CS

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.