Friday, March 28, 2008

in respondeo (in response)

I couldn't be clearer before, and would not do so because I was unwilling to make public what had not yet been made public.

My MT leader, Chris Goree, was released from his position at the BSU on Wednesday. It was not a matter of any sort of ethical breach; rather it was a matter of a difference of direction.

I'm not picking sides. There's no point. And honestly, I'm not sure there even is a right side here. Both the BSU and Chris and Laurie are deeply committed to the cause of reaching people for Christ, making disciples to follow Him truly, and loving God and loving people. Sometimes people just go different ways - even when they are deeply committed to loving each other, even when they are committed to the same principles and goals. I thought of Barnabas and Paul. (And then, all the staff members we talked with brought up that example. And then Kels taught on it at Paradigm last night. God knows.)

I don't know what motivated this action by my leaders at the BSU. I do not need to. I trust God, even when (as now) it is hard to trust them. I don't know exactly how things are going to shake out, or even exactly what God is calling me to do in response to this. Ultimately, for this moment, it does not matter.

What matters is that we honor those who God has placed in authority over us. Respect them, trust them and follow them so far as we can in good conscience.

And praise God in the storm of emotions that come in a situation like this.

So many thoughts and feelings. Anger. Hurt. Betrayal. Confusion - oh, how deep the confusion! Fear.

I am not afraid to cry, and it is not infrequent that I cry a little. But these past days, I have wept at times. And I am not alone. To say this is incredibly difficult would be to understate the case by orders of magnitude.

And yet -

And yet God is faithful. His grace is present. His love is real. His presence is a comfort.

"This is my comfort in my affliction: for Your word has given me life." (Psalm 119:50)

- Chris

2 comments:

  1. I have been praying for you for peace in the midst of troubling and shifting circumstances. The thing the Lord keeps bringing back to me for you is to place your trust in GOd alone. Man can and will fail, big and little, that affect many. We fallen creatures continue to walk out our faith in such unperfect ways. Yet He is sovereign and He will always complete His perfect plans and purposes. I will continue to pray for you and everyone so deeply affected by this. {hugs}

    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, what your mom said.

    ReplyDelete

Got some thoughts? Fire away. Please be polite, thoughtful, and kind! Please provide your name and, if applicable, website. Anonymous comments, along with all forms of spam, trolling, and personal attacks, will be deleted.